A Quick Guide to Choosing a Natural Face Serum in 2022
Published January 14, 2022
Over the centuries, we’ve seen an assortment of skincare trends. Some of them were effective. While others did more harm than good.
In the past few years, however, the trend has shifted to natural and organic skincare products. The world has finally learned that using chemical-based products not only harms your skin. It’s also bad for mother nature.
One of these skincare trends that’s currently taking over the world is face serums.
Not to be confused with your regular moisturizer, serums are highly concentrated and are designed to be easily absorbed by the skin. Whatever your skin concern, there’s usually a serum that’s right for you.
But with thousands of face serum brands in the market, choosing one can be a headache. Lucky for you, we did the legwork and scoured the web to give you this quick guide on how to choose the best natural face serum.
The Dark Secret of Most Facial Serums
Many beauty brands are claiming that their face serums are “all-natural.” But upon checking the fine print, you’ll see that it contains ingredients that aren’t so natural. Not everyone, however, will bother to read the fine print which could be dangerous.
You see, most of those “not-so-natural” ingredients can be harmful to both people and animals. Some can even cause allergic reactions in certain people.
Among the harmful ingredients commonly used in facial serums are paraben, mineral oil, fragrances, and formaldehyde.
Parabens and formaldehyde are both used to prolong the shelf-life of cosmetic products. They’re not only synthetic but are harmful to our bodies. Paraben is linked to breast cancers while formaldehyde is highly toxic and is even used to preserve dead bodies.
Mineral oil, on the other hand, is not as damaging as paraben and formaldehyde. But it forms a layer of film over our skin that prevents it from releasing dirt, oil, and other toxins. As a result, they get trapped in your pores and cause acne breakouts.
Some companies also use the term “fragrances” to hide all the other synthetic chemicals they added in their face serums. They’re not required to disclose the ingredients of their fragrances after all. So it’s no wonder they’re taking advantage of it.
If you’re looking for a truly natural face serum, read the label and make sure that the above ingredients aren’t on the list.
The Best Natural Serum For You
The best facial serum for you depends on your skin type and the skin issues you’re trying to address.
As you know, serums are highly-concentrated vitamins and minerals in a lightweight, easy-to-absorb formulation. Each serum brand contains different kinds of natural ingredients targeted for a specific skin concern.
To choose the right face serum, take into account what skin issues you’re trying to get rid of. Then look up what substances might help with it and choose a serum with that ingredient.
Some of the natural substances commonly used in face serums are:
- Hyaluronic Acid. This is a clear, gooey substance naturally produced by your body which diminishes as we age. It helps retain moisture in your skin keeping it hydrated and supple. It works on all skin types but is most suitable for dry, dull, and aging skin.
- Vitamin A. We all know that this vitamin is good for eyesight but very few know that it can also benefit the skin. It encourages cell renewal and slows the signs of aging. Most facial serums, however, use retinol. It’s a synthetic derivative of vitamin A. If you want to have no synthetic substances in your serum, make sure it contains vitamin A and not retinol.
- Vitamin E. Like vitamin C, this vitamin is also famous for its antioxidant properties. You’ll often see this ingredient listed as Alpha-tocopherol. When applied topically, vitamin E also helps restore sun-damaged skin to its healthy glow.
- Witch Hazel Extract. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, witch hazel has been traditionally added to teas and ointments. When topically applied, it can also reduce skin irritation and fight acne.
- Niacinamide. If you want to minimize the appearance of pores as well as get rid of redness and blotchiness, look for serums with niacinamide concentrate. It also gets rid of dark spots and protects your skin from sun damage.
Top Rated Natural Face Serum Brands
To further help you decide, we’ve scoured online stores to look for the highest-rated natural face serum. Here are ten serums that topped the list:
- There are three powerful forms of Vitamin C
- Face serum with anti-aging properties
- Improved complexion due to healthier skin
- Suitable for any skin type
- Show off your inner beauty
- A serum containing vitamin C
- Contains essential vitamins and minerals for healthy skin
- Suitable for dry, sensitive, and oily skin types
- Contains antioxidants to prevent premature aging of the skin
- Provides skin with cleansing, toning, and protection
- A fast-absorbing formula that is non-greasy and non-sticky
- A natural face moisturizer that boosts moisture in the skin
- Anti-wrinkle serum for fine lines & wrinkles
- A glowing, healthy facial appearance
- Noncomedogenic natural retinol serum for all skin types
- Antioxidant face boost that’s vegan
- Age-defying serum
- Completion of evenness
- Preventive care
- Formulated with enhanced functionality
- Formula for hydrating
- Age-defying benefits
- Stem cell technology developed by NASA
- Suitable for all types of skin
- Bring out your inner beauty
- Makes the skin look brighter
- A serum formulated with natural ingredients
- Instantly hydrates the skin
- Beneficial for preventing aging
- Citrus stem cells with vitamin C serum
- Natural and organic ingredients
- Using organic rose oil as a facial serum
- Vegetarian, animal cruelty-free and are inspired by nature
- Free of parabens, SLS, phthalates, petroleum, glycols, artificial colors, DEA, BHT, mineral oils, and silicones
- With organic rose otto extract, jojoba seed oil, and calendula
- A paraben- and alcohol-free 100% natural olive oil soap
- Exfoliating brightening soap softens, moisturizes, and exfoliates
- A thoughtful gift idea
- Cleans skin, kitchen utensils, bathroom floors, walls, and laundry
- Vegan-friendly, non-animal tested cruelty-free soap
- A serum moisturizer that contains hyaluronic acid
- Moisturizer with anti-aging benefits
- The beauty of cleanliness
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Made sustainably in California
- It outperforms cold-pressed, seed-only oils and is the most concentrated oil on the market
- Refines the appearance of fine lines and damaged skin
- Due to high amounts of carotenoids, the color is deep orange
- CO2 supercritical extraction delivers the full benefits of Rosehip
- BUAV Accredited, Soil Association Certified Organic, Vegan
We Are A Medical Beauty Spa In Boca Raton Florida
Four Seasons Laser Center is a highly renowned med spa in Boca Raton Florida. Our state of the art equipment is run by highly trained and experienced staff so you can rest assured that you are in good hands. We offer laser hair removal services for your whole body, PDO Threads facelift, safe and effective Plasma Fibroblast skin tightening, and other advanced medical beauty services to help you look your best. Contact us now to book a free consultation.
About The Author
Krizzia Paolyn is a professional writer for several reputable digital magazines and publications. It has always been her passion to share her voice, and at the same time, to encourage other people to speak up. She has a bachelors degree in Psychology.